PC Tools Launch BETA Version of iAntiVirus
PC Tools has announced the launch of iAntiVirus BETA Edition, a light weight anti-virus and anti-spyware tool, designed specifically for the Mac operating system. Providing real-time protection and comprehensive system scanning, iAntiVirus is designed to detect and remove Mac specific threats, to ensure your Mac remains safe. This launch coincides with Apple's recommendation to install and use anti-virus software to scan files, in its recently released Security Configuration Guide.
PC Tools' Malware Research Team have identified a range of malware specifically targeting Mac OS X. While virus detections are minimal there is a tendency towards socially engineered threats with the core purpose of tricking the user into an action that will cause a malware infection. Research conducted in the first quarter of 2008 found that 95% of all Mac malware threats identified were OSX related, of which 38% were keyloggers, 30% were hacking tools, 11% were backdoors, whilst just 2% were viruses.
PC Tools are confident that, as the threat landscape continues to evolve and the market for Mac products escalates, the Mac operating system will become an increasingly attractive platform of attack.
Based on an increasing need for Mac consumers to seek out protection for the Mac environment, PC Tools have developed iAntiVirus which provides real-time and comprehensive system scanning to detect and remove Mac specific threats.
iAntiVirus detects and removes viruses, spyware, keyloggers, Trojans and in particular socially engineered threats which, for example, can propagate without user awareness through instant messenger and P2P file sharing applications.
- Customized Mac protection: iAntiVirus detection technology has been designed exclusively for the Mac operating system - to detect and remove Mac specific and socially engineered threats. The iAntiVirus database does not contain unnecessary information about Windows-based threats and is a dedicated Mac only solution.
- Minimal system impact: iAntiVirus is designed to work silently in the background when in monitoring mode - threats are automatically blocked and removed with minimal system impact. A small alert window is displayed to advise you that your Mac has been protected against an attack.
- Simple, Functional and Familiar: Just like Mac OS, iAntiVirus has been designed with the user in mind. The interface is functional, familiar and user-friendly, making it simple to scan, remove and manage detected infections.
- Real-time protection: Protects your Mac against infections in real time by automatically placing detected infections in quarantine, allowing you to also view and restore items, if required. When an infection is detected and blocked, an alert is displayed below the system menu bar (example alerts are provided below).
- Custom Scan options: You may perform a variety of scan types using iAntiVirus, allowing you to strike a balance between how comprehensive the scan is and the time taken to execute the scan.
write your comments about the article :: © 2008 Networking News :: home page