Monasteries of Russian Orthodox Church.

Date of issue: 26th March 2003

Miniature Sheet Klb.1039I
Miniature Sheet Klb.1040I
Miniature Sheet Klb.1041I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1042I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1043I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1068I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1069I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1070I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1071I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1072I

Miniature Sheet Klb.1073I

Designer: Leonid Zaitsev
Paper: coated
Printing process: offset + embossed printing
Perforation: comb. 12 1/2
Size of a stamp: 57,15 x 31,75 mm
Size of a Miniature Sheet: 194 x 155 mm
Size of the booklet: 195 x 155 mm
Printing run: 3.000
Michel catalogue numbers: Booklet 1039-1043, 1068-1073

5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Monastery of Saint Daniel in Moscow was founded in 1282 by the Saint Orthodox Prince Daniel, the forefather of all Moscow princes
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Sergii Lavra of the Holy Trinity in Sergiev Posad was founded in 1337 by Reverend Sergii of Radonezh, the great ascetic of the Russian land. The iconostasis of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity includes icons by Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chorny
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Valaam Monastery of Transfiguration of Our Savior is situates on the island of Valaam in the Lake of Ladoga. It was founded in the 14th century. The stamp portrays Reverend Sergii and German, the founders of the monastery community on the island
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Monastery of Reverend Savva of Storozha in Zvenigorod was founded by Reverend Savva in 1398. According to a legend, in 1812 Reverend Savva appeared before marshal of the Napoleonic army Eugeny Bogarnet during his night dream and prevented marshal from destroying the cloister
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Pskov Cave Monastery of the Holy Assumption in the city of Pechora was founded in 1470 and a few monks came to live in one of the caves. The stamp portrays Saint Cornelius of Pskov and Pechora, the Father Superior of the monastery in the middle of the 16th century
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Yuriev Monastery in Novgorod was founded in 1030 by the famous Russian prince Yaroslav the Wise
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Tolgsky Nunnery of the Introduction into Temple of the mother of God was founded in 1314 at the point where the Tolga flows into the Volga River
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Kozelsk Optina Pustyn Monastery of the Introduction into Temple of the Holy Mother of God was founded in the late 14th - early 15th century. The stamp features the great ascetic Hieromonk Amvrosius
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Solovetsky Zosima and Savvatii Monastery of the Trasfiguration of Our Savior was founded at the end of the 1420s and started by Reverend Zosima, Savvatii and German of Solovets.
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Novodevichy Nunnery of the Mother of God of Smolensk was founded in 1524 in the Luzhniki Tract by the Grand Prince Vassily II as a memorial to the reconquest of the city of Smolensk into Russia
5.00 (R). multicoloured. The Seraphim Nunnery of the Holy Trinity in Diveyevo was founded in 1780 by nun Alexandra in the village of Diveyevo near Nizhny Novgorod. The stamp features Reverend Seraphim who was appointed Father Superior of the Diveyevo Nunnery after nun Alexandra's death


click arrows above to view more links