NoMachine Makes First NX 4.0 Technology Preview Available
NoMachine announced a software preview of its upcoming new products and technologies which offer a completely redesigned client GUI and restructure its flagship suite of NX Server. The new products will not only extend the current functionalities of NX application delivery and remote access products, there will also be new naming conventions adopted. This release marks an important milestone in the history of the company. Version 4 of the software, in fact, will be only available under a closed source license.
This initial Preview Release, NX 4.0 Preview 1, provides users the opportunity to try out and provide feedback on NX Player, the new client GUI, which replaces NX Client of earlier versions, and also of some of the major feature enhancements that will be included in the approaching commercial release of NX 4.0. NoMachine users can now download and install the NX products provided with this preview and test the performance and functionality capabilities of NX Player, NX Virtual Desktop Workstation and NX Web Player. Although this initial preview release serves as an introduction to the upcoming official major release, it does not offer the complete feature-set of NX 4.0 which is still under heavy development.
Some of the most significant features made available for testing in NX 4.0 Preview 1 are:
- Revamped client GUI and Functionalities. The former NX Client now has a completely redesigned GUI and brand new name, NX Player, and allows users to create and run NX sessions without the need for pre-configuring session parameters. Services and configuration settings can be managed at any time inside the NX session with a new roll-away utility bar.
- Access from any Browser-Based Device. NX Web Player is the new application that allows administrators to provide NX sessions on the Web. For this preview, users can try out browser-based sessions on the dedicated NX Testdrive or use the packages provided. The remote desktop and applications are made accessible from any browser-enabled device without the need for installing or configuring any additional software locally.
- All-in-one Package. The NX Virtual Desktop Workstation package makes the installation of the NX software easier: just run the installation procedure to have your server ready to run sessions. Included in the package: a minimal Apache Web Server ready to serve the NX Web Player and NX Server Manager.
- Improved Video and Audio support. Improvements to video playback have been made by encoding frames into a video stream, increasing the efficiency of bandwidth usage. The new NX multimedia framework has been seamlessly integrated with the most recent versions of Linux eliminating the need to configure the sound server or client. Audio support for Windows and Mac will soon be made available.
- File Transfer. Via the NX utility toolbar, users can select and transfer remote files from within the session to the local desktop and vice-versa.
For a complete list of the features available and known limitations please consult the download page of the NX 4.0 Preview.
The preview release not only provides a glimpse of the novelties of NX 4.0, it introduces users to the entry-level product of NoMachine's new product line: NX Virtual Desktop Workstation. The Workstation edition, offering virtual desktop, remote access functionalities and four concurrent sessions, will eventually replace the current NX Free Edition.
While the performance and usability of NX 4.0 are of the highest importance to our developers right now, many of the NX veterans will understand that these snapshot releases are the best opportunity for current and new users to get an idea of what's new, such as the brand new client GUI, NX Player, as well as help shape the final version via your ever-important feedback.
For users interested in trying out NX 4.0 on-the-fly, NoMachine NX 4.0 Testdrive has been created, providing immediate access to the new functionalities implemented, including the much anticipated browser-based remote session. To download the NX 4.0 preview release, including NX Player, please click here.
write your comments about the article :: © 2010 Computing News :: home page