CommVault Simpana 7.0 software suite
CommVault has announced its next generation software release, now called the CommVault Simpana 7.0 software suite. Building on CommVault's proven market success, CommVault Simpana 7.0 software redefines the way companies can store, manage and discover enterprise information across all tiers of storage.
Global enterprises can now manage data growth more efficiently and access the wealth of information traditionally locked inside backup and archive copies, creating new business value from existing infrastructure. The CommVault Simpana 7.0 suite provides major enhancements to data protection, archiving and replication solutions, additional platform coverage, and also delivers a rich set of new product features, including:
• Enterprise-wide Search and Discovery,
• Single Instance Store,
• High Performance Content Indexing,
• Data Classification,
• Expanded Security and Encryption Capabilities, and
• Post-processing for Encryption, Content Indexing and SIS.
The CommVault Simpana 7.0 suite creates a virtual information pool of searchable content from files, emails and attachments stored across separate backup, archive and online data sets. Corporate users can now access in real-time a wealth of current and historical information through a simple, web-based interface. The CommVault Simpana 7.0 suite bridges back-office data management strategies with front line information management, putting critical information directly at the fingertips of decision makers.
Discovery for litigation and compliance requests coupled with secure, end-user access to information are two of the most pressing requirements of IT organizations today. CommVault's new search and discovery offerings enable organizations to quickly and effectively respond to legal discovery actions and compliance audits. With direct, content rich search and access to a wide range of documents, files and emails stored online and in backup and archive copies, end users are more productive and better equipped to make rapid decisions. The CommVault Simpana 7.0 suite offers key capabilities, including:
• Discovery and Business Compliance Search – From reducing the time it takes to perform legal discovery to improving the quality of the result set by searching across backup and archive data, CommVault enables users to better respond to litigation requests and regulatory compliance policies. Through a single interface, privileged users gain superior data access to quickly respond to discovery requests driven by various regulations both in the United States and abroad such as the US Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; SEC Rule 17a; the Companies Act in the UK; the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act; Basel II; and many more.
• Business User Search – CommVault's self-service search capability makes data that has been locked in backup or archive copies instantly available from a single search interface. By removing the barriers that have traditionally existed between users and their data, the business user search improves user productivity and reduces administrative IT burdens. In a single search using keywords or phrases, a user is presented with all the relevant items spanning their online and offline managed copies across different client and application systems. Search results are automatically limited and restricted based on the organization's existing security scheme.
Customers are embracing disk storage as a core element of their data protection and archive strategies to improve performance and increase reliability and recovery times. Responding to customers' demands to retain more data on disk, CommVault introduces Single Instance Store which dramatically reduces the number of duplicate copies of data stored on disk. SIS stores only unique files and attachments across backup cycles and archive sets, spanning different applications and client systems.
CommVault's SIS can be hosted on any disk library to provide customers the ability to easily change locations, disk types and disk vendors over time without decompressing the entire data set. Embedded within CommVault's singular architecture, SIS extends typical data reduction benefits without the need to acquire and deploy additional dedicated infrastructure as required by other storage software solutions.
The CommVault Simpana 7.0 suite also includes innovations that improve performance, reach and security of enterprise information. New features include:
• High Performance and Scalable Content Indexing – Affords the organization the ability to transform managed data into valuable, sharable information assets. CommVault's unique integration of the FAST InStream enterprise search technology platform provides users a highly efficient contextual index supporting 370 content types and 77 different languages. Indexed items can be comprised of email messages, attachments, postings, files and documents from Microsoft Exchange Server and Sharepoint products, IBM Lotus Domino software, and NAS file shares, across Microsoft Windows, Linux, and UNIX file systems.
• Data Classification-enabled Smart Clients – Targeting large file system clients, data classification compresses the operating window for backup jobs by minimizing file scanning on the client system. With new Smart Clients, the organization can also apply a broader set of data management policies such as file archiving, online content indexing, and resource management while minimizing the impact on the production environment.
• Expanded Security and Encryption Capabilities – Includes expanded enterprise security and role-based authentication, including Microsoft Active Directory integration, Single-Sign-On authentication, and broader data encryption to include popular ciphers such as the AES-256 standard.
• Post-processing Option – With CommVault's post-processing option, customers can apply advanced data management processes such as encryption, single instancing, content indexing and disaster recovery copies during the post-processing phase, minimizing the impact on production systems.
write your comments about the article :: © 2007 Computing News :: home page