EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 Now Available
EnterpriseDB has announced today the availability of EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2. EnterpriseDB Advanced Server is an enterprise-class relational database management system (RDBMS) that is based on PostgreSQL open source database. The latest release of the company's product offers significant upgrades in the areas of Oracle compatibility and migration from Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and Sybase databases. In addition, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 incorporates all of the many performance and feature upgrades of PostgreSQL 8.2.
EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 can now run applications written for Oracle databases that rely on the Oracle Call Interface (OCI). This significantly broadens the range of Oracle applications that can run on EnterpriseDB with little or no modification to the applications' code. For example, many packaged enterprise software applications from third-party vendors make extensive use of OCI. EnterpriseDB's enhanced Oracle compatibility features enable these packaged applications to be quickly and easily deployed on the EnterpriseDB platform.
In response to customer demand, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 also enables users to browse Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and Sybase databases and to easily migrate the data and schema contained in those databases to EnterpriseDB.
EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 includes all of the many feature and performance enhancements in PostgreSQL 8.2, including:
• 20% performance increase, delivering even higher performance for demanding high-end OLTP requirements;
• Advanced support for warm standby databases, enabling high-availability and failover solutions;
• Online index builds, for no-downtime performance tuning;
• Enhanced ANSI SQL 2003 compliance, meeting enterprise standards requirements;
• Generalised inverted indexes, supporting semi-structured and full-text data;
• Support for state-of-the-art debugging tools, including DTrace.
write your comments about the article :: © 2007 Computing News :: home page