Sony Cyber-shot S650 and S700 Released
Even if you're new to digital photography it's easy to get great-looking results every time with the compact new Sony Cyber-shot S650 and S700. Both cameras team high imaging quality with handy features in a compact, easy to use package that slips easily into a pocket or bag. The attractive silver finish of the S650 is enhanced even further by the S700 that adds an extra stylish note courtesy of its high-quality all-metal body.
Picture quality is assured thanks to the 1/2.5-inch Super HAD CCD sensor with a resolution of 7.2 effective megapixels. Distant scenes can be pulled in closer with the bright, clear Sony 3x optical zoom lens that also offers a 6x digital zoom capability and up to 14x smart zoom. Complementing Auto and Programme modes, a choice of seven Scene Selection modes adjusts camera settings for optimum results under a wide range of shooting conditions. In High Sensitivity (REI) mode, sensitivity is boosted to ISO 1000, making the S650 and S700 suitable for capturing clearer, blur-free images indoors or in difficult low light conditions without flash.
The S700 makes framing and reviewing shots a pleasure thanks to its big, bright 2.4-inch TFT LCD screen (and S650 has 2-inch LCD screen). Dependable shooting is even surer with a handy new Function Guide that offers an on-screen description of each shooting mode, making it easy to pick exactly the right mode for any subject. Selection of flash, macro, self timer and other settings are also confirmed with the aid of easy-to-understand on-screen icons. As another bonus for beginners, both cameras offer guidance on how many shots can be captured on the remaining memory as well as suggesting the most appropriate image resolution for a preferred print paper size. For even greater convenience there's also a 'Direct Play' button that switches instantly to playback for quick confirmation of shots.
Despite a weight of just 130g/149g, the Cyber-shot S650 and S700 are no lightweights when it comes to shooting stamina. Both cameras accept standard AA Alkaline batteries (supplied in box) and up to 460 shots are achievable from a single charge of a Li MH battery (available as an optional extra) – making it even easier to enjoy holidays or trips away without worrying about running out of power.
Bundled Picture Motion Browser Ver 2.0 software simplifies uploading and management of pictures using a connected PC. Other supplied accessories include a wrist strap, USB cable and an AV cable for connection to a television set or other display device.
The Cyber-shot S650 and S700 will be available throughout Europe from mid February 2007.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S650 and DSC-S700 key features:
- 7.2 effective megapixels;
- ISO 1000 high sensitivity (REI) for low-light shooting;
- 3x optical zoom, 6x digital zoom, up to 14x smart zoom;
- Easy operation with on-screen Function Guide;
- Bright, clear 2.4-inch (6cm) LCD screen (S700) / 2-inch (5.1cm) LCD screen (S650);
- High quality Sony lens;
- Compact design with silver finish all-metal body (S700) / Silver finish plastic casing (S650);
- 16:9 mode for playback on a widescreen TV;
- Motion-JPEG (30fps movie mode with audio);
- PictBridge for direct connection to printer without need for PC;
- 24MB internal memory;
- Accepts 2 standard AA batteries;
- STAMINA battery life up to 460 shots (CIPA standard with LCD screen on, using optional NH-AA-2DB batteries);
- On-screen menu in choice of 15 languages: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish;
- Supplied accessories: 2x Alkaline batteries, AV & USB cables, wrist strap and software;
- Compatible with wide range of optional Sony accessories.
write your comments about the article :: © 2007 Computing News :: home page