Atkins awarded contract for nuclear new build Sizewell C’s Enabling Works Programme
- 25 July 2019
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin Group, has been awarded a £5m contract for the Enabling Works Basic Design at the Sizewell C site. It will be the first programme of construction work to commence at the proposed nuclear power station, which is to be located immediately to the north of the existing Sizewell B power station, on the Suffolk coast.
The site will comprise of two UK EPR™ units with an electrical output of approximately 1, 670 megawatts (MW) per unit, giving a total site capacity of approximately 3, 340MW. Once operational, Sizewell C will be able to generate enough electricity to supply approximately six million (20 per cent) of the UK’s homes.
• The Enabling Works are defined as all work necessary to prepare the main development site for the execution of the Main Civil Works and Marine Works construction. Overall objectives include:
• To determine the optimal layout and sequence of the construction of the site, to ensure safety, efficiency and minimal impact on surrounding villages.
• To minimize the environmental impact on the surrounding area during construction, including the design of a dedicated crossing through a designated conservation area.
• To specify future site facilities and infrastructure required until commercial operation of the power station commences.
• To determine the most cost-effective construction techniques and innovative design solutions, and maximise replication from Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, supporting EDF in their goal in reducing the cost of construction for Sizewell C by 20 per cent.
• To deliver information required for the application of the Development Consent Order, the Nuclear Site License and other key permits.
Andrew Smart, Project Delivery Director at Atkins, said: “This programme of work will see us combine our extensive experience in the nuclear new build sector with the use of innovative digital tools.
“Our delivery model will involve a great amount of collaboration and alliance working, to drive efficiencies for EDF and their ECI contractors. To do this, we will draw upon our long-standing history of working within the nuclear new build industry – including our vast experience of working with EDF on other projects in the UK such as Hinkley Point C – to deliver engineering solutions that can reduce costs and speed up the construction process.”
Jim Crawford, Sizewell C Project Development Director, said: “Sizewell C is progressing well with Stage 4 consultation underway. The experience Atkins’ has gained at Hinkley Point C will help ensure we have the site prepared and ready for the construction of the power station, if planning consent is granted.” End
Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, employing over 18, 300 people across the UK, North America, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific and Europe. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas. You can view Atkins’ recent projects here.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global engineering professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees think beyond engineering. SNC-Lavalin’s teams provide comprehensive project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction management, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients across the EDPM (engineering, design and project management), Infrastructure, Nuclear, and Resources businesses. www.snclavalin.com